Andrea RAPISARDAAssociate Professor of Theoretical physics, mathematical models and methods [FIS/02]
Web Site: www.andrea-rapisarda.it
Office Hours: Monday from 08:30 to 09:30 | Wednesday from 08:30 to 09:30 | In case of urgent need please contact me via e-mail
Andrea Rapisarda is associate professor of theoretical physics at the University of Catania, Italy. He has also the qualification of full professor in theoretical physics of fundamental interactions and in theoretical physics of condensed matter. He is also coordinator of a PhD course in “Complex systems for Physical, Socio-economic and Life Sciences”. He is an external faculty member of the Complexity Science Hub Vienna and co-director of the International School on Complexity of the Ettore Majorana Foundation in Erice with A. Zichichi, G. Benedek, M. Gell-mann, C. Tsallis . He is co-author of more than 150 publications in international journals and member of the editorial board of Physica A, Heliyon, Cogent Physics, Frontiers in Physics (Social physics). His main interests of research are Statistical mechanics, Deterministic chaos, Nonlinear dynamics, Complex networks and Multi-agent models applied to socio-economic systems. He is departmental delegate for strategic planning and member of the "Commissione paritetica" of DFA. He was also Rector's delegate for internationalization and Erasmus coordinator for the University of Catania in the period march 2013 - november 2016.
(Last update 07/09/2019)
(Last update 07/09/2019)
Current academic position:
Associate professor of theoretical physics, mathematical methods and models in the Department of Physics and Astronomy, University of Catania since November 1998
Qualified as full professor for the area 02 / A2 Theoretical Physics of fundamental interactions in January 2014
Qualified as full professor for the area 02 / B2 Theoretical Physics of condensed matter in April 2017
External Faculty Member of the Complexity Science Hub Vienna
Codirector of the International School on Complexity of the Ettore Majorana Foundation di Erice with A. Zichichi, G. Benedek, M. Gell-mann, C. Tsallis
Rector's Delegate for Internationalization of the University of Catania (March 2013 - November 2016)
Erasmus coordinator of the University of Catania since (March 2013 - November 2016)
In charge of Research at the 'National Institute of Nuclear Physics (INFN)
Coordinator at the University of Catania, of the PhD course entitled "Complex systems for physical, socio-economic and life sciences"
Responsible of the INFN initiative DYNSYSMATH at the Catania Infn unit
Principal Investigator of the research project of the University of Catania in 2014 FIR "Multi-Layer Networks and Efficient Decision Dynamics"
Principal Investigator of the Catania unit for the research project PRIN 2017 "Stochastic forecasting in Complex Systems"
Member of the "Commissione paritetica di Dipartimento" since February 2013
Lipari co-director of the International School on Complex Systems since 2010
Member of the Editorial Board of the international journal "Physica A" since 2005
Member of the Editorial Board of' 'International Journal of Statistical Mechanics " since 2013
Member of the Editorial Board of the international journal "Cogent Physics" since 2014
Member of the Editorial Board of the international journal Elsevier "Heliyon" since 2015
Member of the Editorial Board of the international journal Frontiers in Physics | Social Physics since 2018
Member of the Italian Physical Society since 1991
Supervisor of several post-docs, PhD students and master's degree
Referee of several international journals such as Physical Review Letters, Physical Review E, Chaos, International Journal of Modern Physics, Physica A, Physica D, Journal of Statistical Physics, Europhysics Letters, Fluctuation and Noise Letters, PlosOne, European Journal of Physics B New Journal of Physics, Journal of Physics A, Entropy, Journal of complex networks,PlosOne, PNAS, Nature Scientific Reports
Training and past assignments:
High school at Liceo G. Galilei of Catania finished in 1978 with a score of 60/60
Degree in Physics from the University of Catania on 18/07/1983 with a score of 110/110 cum laude.
Fellowship at the University of Froncoforte (Germany), May-June 1984.
Fellowship at the Niels Bohr Institute in Copenhagen, September 1984 - March 1985.
Military service with the anti-aircraft artillery, April 85 - April 86 (Sabaudia - Bologna).
INFN fellowship, June 1986 - June 1988.
Fellowship at the Niels Bohr Institute of Copenhagen, September 1988 - June 1989.
Fellowship of the Institute of Nuclear Physics Sicilian Center and Structure of Matter, University of Catania, March 1990 - March 1991.
Researcher of the National Institute of Nuclear Physics, 01/05/1991 to 14/10/1998.
Associate Professor of Nuclear Physics and Sub since 14/10/1998.
Associate Professor of Theoretical Physics since 02/12/2005.
Visiting scientist at the Center of Applied Mathematical and Theoretical Physics of Maribor, Slovenia in 1997
Visiting scientist at the Center of Theoretical Physics of MIT, Cambridge, USA in 1998 and in 1999
Visiting scientist at the CBPF, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil in 2012
member of the College of Teachers of the PhD in Physics of the University 'of Catania 2004-2015
President of the Master courses in Physics and Bachelor in Physics (Struttura didattica aggregata) from 04/11/2004 to 04/11/2010
Referee of several international journals such as Physical Review Letters, Physical Review E, Chaos, International Journal of Modern Physics, Physica A, Physica D, Journal of Statistical Physics, Europhysics Letters, Fluctuation and Noise Letters, PlosOne, European Journal of Physics B New Journal of Physics, Journal of Physics A, Entropy, PlosOne, PNAS
Complex Systems; Statistical Mechanics; Phase transitions and critical phenomena; Nuclear comminuted; Criticality 'self-organized; glassy systems; Chaos and nonlinear dynamics; fractals; Turbulence; Synchronization in many-body systems; Theory of networks and applications in informatic systems, structural and biological; Time series analysis of environmental, geophysical and biological; Numerical simulations and modeling of systems of sociological interest.
Co-author of more than 150 scientific publications in international journals
h-index 35 Number of citations greater than 5000 (see link)
ISI Web of Science Research profile http://www.researcherid.com/ rid / D-2453-2014
IG Nobel Prize in 2010 for Management (see www.andrea-rapisarda.it )
- Talk at Trivago Academy in Dusseldorf on may 16, 2018, link
- Intervista su Rai Radio1 nella trasmissione "Gioco a premier" del 7 maggio 2018, link
- Intervento a Omnibus su La7 del 6 maggio 2018 link
- Intervento a Radio3 scienza “Il caso e la capacità” del 6 marzo 2018 link
- Intervento a Rai3 nel programma Geo del 21 settembre 2017 link
- Talk on the Peter principle at the Swedish television on may 22, 2015, link
- Interview live on BBC radio 4 “How math can improve politics” april 19, 2012, link
- Intervista su Telecamere, Rai3, del 22 gennaio 2012, link
Organization of meetings and conferences:
- International workshop "HMF meeting", Catania (Italy), september 2000.
- International Conference NEXT2001, "not extensive Thermodynamics and physical applications", Villasimius, Cagliari (Italy), may 2001.
- International Conference NEXT2003, "News and Expectations in Thermostatistics", Villasimius, Cagliari (Italy), 22-28 september 2003.
- International conference "Complexity, Metastability and Nonextensivity" 20-26 July 2004, Centro E. Majorana Erice, Italy.
- International conference "Complexity, Metastability and Nonextensivity", 1-5 July 2007, Catania, Italy.
- International School on Social Networks, Lipari island, Sicily 3-10 July 2010
- International School on Game theoretic approach to Computational Complex Systems, Lipari island, Sicily 9-16 July 2011
- International conference "Frontiers in Statistical Physics and Complex Systems", Catania, Italy, 2-5 June 2012
- International school on data mining and modeling of complex techno-socio-economic systems, Lipari island, Sicily 14-21 July 2012
- International school on "Dynamic networks and social behavior", Lipari island, Sicily 06-13, July 2013
- International school on "Smart Cities", Lipari island, Sicily, july 26- august 2 2014
- International school on "Mapping the World", Lipari island, Sicily, 12-18 July 2015
- Erice International School "New Trends in Statistical Mechanical Foundations of Complexity", july 27- august 3 2015, Erice, Italy
List of some invited talks:
- International conference "Heavy Ion Collisions the Coulomb Barrier", Daresbury (U.K.) june 1990.
- International conference on "Dynamical Fluctuations and Correlations in Nuclear Collisions", march 1992 Aussois (France). - XXX International Winter Meeting on Nuclear Physics, Bormio (Italy) january 1992.
- International conference "From Classical to Quantum Chaos" Sissa, Trieste (Italy) june 1992.
- 1st joint Italian-Japanese meeting "Perspectives in Heavy-Ion Physics", Catania (Italy), june 1992.
- LXXVIII meeting SIF, october 1992 Pavia (Italy).
- International workshop "Dynamical Fluctuations in Heavy-Ion Collisions", october 1992-Caen, Caen (France).
- International conference "Dynamical features of nuclei and Finite Fermi Systems, Sitges (Spain) september 1993.
- Th Winter Meeting on Nuclear Dynamics "january 1993 Snowbird - Salt Lake City (USA).
- International workshop "Fluctuations in Nuclear Dynamics" february 1993 ECT * Trento (Italy).
- 1st joint Italian-Inglese meeting on "Problems in Nuclear Physics" march 1994 LNS-Catania (Italy).
- 1st meeting of the European network "Many-body Theory of Correlated Fermion system", may 1994, Orsay-Paris (France). - International Workshop "Applications of Chaos in Nuclear and Atomic Physics", september 1994, de Caen (France).
- VII National Seminar on Nuclear and subnuclear, september 1994 Otranto (Italy).
- 2nd Italian-Japanese joint meeting, Riken-Tokyo (Japan) june 1995.
- 210th ACS Meeting, International workshop "Hot and Expanding Nuclear Matter", august 1995, Chicago (USA).
- XXXIV International Winter Meeting on Nuclear Physics, Bormio (Italy) january 1996.
- 1st International conference CRIS, Aci Castello (Italy) may 1996. - European Research Conference on "Chaotic phenomena in nuclear physics", Aghia Pelaghia, Crete (Greece), october 1996.
- Internazional workshop on "Chaotic dynamics and quantum many- body systems", ECT* Trento (Italy), february 1997.
- International school/conference on "Let's face chaos through nonlinear dynamics", Maribor Slovenia , july 1999.
- International Conference CRIS2000, on "Phase transitions in strong interactions: Status and perspectives ", Acicastello Italy, May 2000.
- International School/Conference on "Dynamics and Thermodynamics of systems with long-range interactions "", Les Houches, France, 17-22 february 2002.
- International Conference on "Non extensive Statistical mechanics and applications" ", Institute for Complex Systems, Santa Fe,USA, 8-12 april July 2002.
- International Los Alamos Conference on "Anomalous Distributions", Santa Fe,USA, 3-6 november 2002.
-International Conference on "Frontier Science 2003: A non-linear world, the real world", Pavia, Italy, 8-12 september 2003. -International Conference on "Trends and perspectives in extensive and non-extensive statistical mechanics", Angra dos Reis, Brazil, 19-21 november 2003.
-International Conference on "Complexity and Nonextensivity: New trends in statistical Mechanics", Yukawa Institute, Kyoto, Japan, 14-18 march 2005.
-International Symposium on " Nonlinearity, nonequilibrium and complexity: Questions and perspectives in statistical physics", Tepoztlan, Mexico , Nov. 27 - Dec 2, 2005
-London Mathematical Society Durham Symposium on Dynamical Systems and Statistical Mechanics, Durham UK, 3 July-13 July 2006 -School and conference on Complex Systems and Nonextensive statistical mechanics, ICTP Trieste, Italy 31 July - 8 August 2006
-International Conference on Chaos and Complex Systems, Monastery of Novacella, Bressanone (Brixen), Italy 9-12 October 2006.
-International Conference on "Dynamics and Thermodynamics of systems with long-range interactions: Theory and Experiments", satellite conference of StatPhys23, Assisi (PG) , Italy 4-8 July 2007. -International SPIE conference on : Complex Systems , The Australian National University, Canberra, Australia, 5-7 December 2007.
-International conference "First Mediterranean Conference on Nonlinear Dynamics and its Applications", organized by the Dipartimento di Metodi Quantitativi e Teoria Economica, Università "G. d'Annunzio" Chieti-Pescara, at Pescara, Italy, 3-8 July, 2008. -International conference on statistical mechanics "Sigma phi 2008", Kolympary, Crete, Greece 14-18 July 2008.
-International conference on "Nonextensive Statistical Mechanics NEXT08", Iguacu, Paranà, Brazil 27-31 October 2008.
-International conference Medyfinol 2008, Punta del Este, Uruguay, 1-5 December 2008.
- International Econophysics Colloquium 2009, Center E. Majorana, Erice, Sicily, Italy 25-31 October 2009
- International Conference STATPHYS24, Cairns Australia, 19-23 July 2010
- International conference "Unwinding Complexity", Port Douglas Australia, 24-26 July 2010
- ECSS'11 European Conference on Complex Systems, Vienna, 12-16 September 2011
- Invited talk at CBPF Rio de Janeiro, Brazil February 15, 2012
- Invited general colloquium at Mainz University, Germany, July 3, 2012
- Invited talk at the 7th SICC int. school "Complex networks in action", Catania, Italy, 26-28 September 2012
- Invited talk at the international conference "Tsallis entropy and its applications", Wuhan, China, 16-18 October 2012
- Invited talk at the international conference on Nonequilibrium statistical mechanics and nonlinear physics, Santiago, Chile, 3-7 December 2012
- ECCS'13 European Conference on Complex Systems, September 16-20, 2013, Barcelona, Spain
- Invited talk at the International Conference "Complex systems: foundations and applications", October 28-November 1, 2013, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
- Invited talk at the International workshop "Statistical mechanics foundation of complexity - where do we stand? ", May 8-10, 2014, Santa Fe Institute, Santa Fe, NM, USA
- Invited talk at the "Mediterrenean School on Complex Networks", June 9-13, 2014, Salina, Italy
- Invited talk at the international conference on "Discrete models of Complex Systems", June 22-25 2014, Ljubliana, Slovenia
- Invited talk at the international conference on Statistical Physics "Sigma Phi ", July 7-11 2014, Rhodes, Greece
- Invited talk at Queen Mary University London, UK, March 17 2015 - Invited talk at the Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden, March 31, 2015
- Invited plenary talk at the conference of European Decision Sciences Institutes, EDSI2015, May 31-June 3 2015, Taormina, Italy
- International Conference on Computational Social Science, june 8-11, 2015, Helsinki , Finland
- Invited talk at the 7th Summer Solstice International Conference on Discrete Models of Complex Systems, June 17-19, 2015, Toronto Canada
- Invited talk at the Latin-American School on Foundation of Complexity, October 4-30, 2015, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
- Invited talk at the workshop "Nonlinearity, Nonequilibrium and Complexity: Questions and Perspectives in Statistical Physics", November 29 - December 4 2015, Mexico City, Mexico
- Invited talk at the international conference on "Challenges in Data Science", Matera, Italy, July 8-11 2016
- Invited talk at the Lipari international School on Computational Complex and Social Systems, Lipari, Italy, July 10-17 2016.
- Invited talk at the international conference "Econophysics Colloquium", ICTP San Paolo, Brazil, July 27-29 2016
- Invited talk at the international workshop "Complex networks: from socio-economic systems to biology and brain", Lipari , Italy, August 28 - September 3 2016
- Invited talk at the Dipartimento di scienza ed alta tecnologia, Università degli studi dell'Insubria, Como, February 21st, 2017
- Invited tal at the Summer Solstice International Conference on Discrete models of complex systems, Gdansk, Poland 25-27 june 2018
- Advanced Statistical Mechanics and Physics of Complex Systems at the Bachelor / Master's Degree in Physics, University of Catania
- Physics of Complex Systems for the PhD in Physics at the University of Catania
- General Physics at the Degree in Mathematics at the University of Catania
- Chaos and Nonlinear Dynamics at the Scuola Superiore di Catania Excellence
In the following the most cited and relevant papers (Google Scholar 05/06/19)
Main research interests:
Statistical mechanics, Complex systems, Networks, Chaos and nonlinear dynamics, Phase transitions and critical phenomena, Self-Organized Criticality, Fractals, Big data, Econophysics, Sociophysics, Agent based simulations
External Faculty of the Complexity Science Hub Vienna since 2017
Co-director of the International School on Complexity of the 'Ettore Majorana Foundation in Erice with A. Zichichi, G. Benedek, M. Gell-mann, C. Tsallis since 2018
Departmental delegate fro strategic planning since 2018
Member of the Advisory Editorial Board of the International Journal "Physica A" since 2005
Member of the Editorial Board of the International Journal "Cogent Physics" dal 2014
Member of the Editorial Board of the International Journal "Heliyon" dal 2015
Member of the Editorial Board of the International Journal "Frontiers in Physics | Social Physics" dal 2018